What They’re Saying: Democrats “Laser Focus” on Vulnerable Republicans’ Toxic Health Care Records
On Friday, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee launched digital ads highlighting vulnerable Senate Republicans’ refusal to oppose the toxic Trump administration-backed lawsuit to end protections for people with pre-existing conditions and for maternity care, as well as keeping kids on their parents’ insurance until age 26.
Friday marked one year since Republicans argued in federal court that “protections for pre-existing conditions should be ruled unconstitutional.” And while Republican senators facing tough races next year were all too happy to pass the deeply unpopular tax law that made this lawsuit possible, they’ve refused to take a stand against the suit — even though it stands to spike costs and gut protections for their constituents.
Here’s what they’re saying about the DSCC’s work to hold Republicans accountable for their toxic health care lawsuit:
- National Journal: “The DSCC launched digital ads on Friday targeting Sens. Martha McSally (R-AZ), Cory Gardner (R-CO), David Perdue (R-GA), Susan Collins (R-ME), Thom Tillis (R-NC), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), John Cornyn (R-TX), and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell over their refusal to stand against their party’s lawsuit to undo the Affordable Care Act. Former nominee John James (R) in Michigan is also targeted over his support during the 2018 campaign for President Trump and his tax law, which formed the basis for the lawsuit.”
- Arizona Mirror: “National Democrats are targeting U.S. Sen. Martha McSally in Facebook advertisements over her support of Republican efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act, a move that would remove protections for pre-existing conditions.”
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution: “A new digital ad campaign being rolled out by the Senate Democratic campaign arm today hits U.S. Sen. David Perdue for his support of year-old lawsuit that could take down Obamacare… Perdue has backed multiple GOP efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare.”
- Colorado Politics: “…ad campaign blasts Gardner and other Republican senators in 2020 battleground seats for staying on the sidelines after the Trump administration backed a ruling that declared the federal health legislation unconstitutional.”
- Des Moines Register: “DSCC officials said it will begin airing digital ads across the country today, including some in Iowa that will target Ernst.”
- Texas Tribune: “The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee is launching digital ads against U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, on an issue sure to dominate his re-election bid: health care.”
- Texas Signal: “Sen. Cornyn, who is up for re-election in 2020, has voted to repeal the ACA and is not committed, Democrats say, to protecting coverage for pre-existing conditions.”
Read more here about Republicans’ toxic lawsuit that would spike costs and gut protections for Americans with pre-existing conditions.