The DSCC released a new ad today highlighting Congressman Joe Heck’s long record of voting against Nevada women. Even though over 20,000 Nevadans rely on Planned Parenthood for basic health care services like cancer screenings and contraception, that hasn’t stopped Congressman Heck from voting to shut down the government over funding for the organization. Congressman Heck even wants to make abortions illegal and criminalize doctors who perform them.
The ad, “Rely” can be viewed HERE.
“When it comes to women’s health, Congressman Joe Heck has proven he’s just another Washington politician who will put extreme partisan politics ahead of what’s best for Nevada women,” said Sadie Weiner, DSCC Communications Director. “Congressman Heck’s willingness to shut down the government over Planned Parenthood funding and his votes to criminalize abortion are downright scary, and tell you everything you need to know about Congressman Heck’s priorities. Nevada women deserve a Senator who will fight to protect their access to healthcare and Catherine Cortez Masto will be that Senator.”
MS. DEITSCH: I rely on Planned Parenthood for health care like cancer screenings and contraception.
GFX: Laura Deitsch
Las Vegas, NV
MS. DEITSCH: I know many other women just like me.
GFX: Over 20,000 Nevadans
Rely on Planned Parenthood
PLANNED PARENTHOOD SERVED MORE THAN 20,000 PATIENTS IN NEVADA
Las Vegas Sun: Planned Parenthood Offered Preventive Care, Pregnancy Testing, Abortions And Cancer Screening To 22,000 Annual Patients In Nevada. “Planned Parenthood, which offers preventive care, pregnancy testing, abortions and cancer screenings, has about 22,000 annual patients in Nevada. Most Planned Parenthood patients are women earning less than 150 percent of the federal government’s poverty threshold.” [Las Vegas Sun, 10/23/15]
MS. DEITSCH: It’s wrong that Congressman Heck was willing to shut down the government over Planned Parenthood funding.
Source: ABC News, 9/18/15; MSNBC News, 9/18/15; CQ News, 9/17/15
HECK & HOUSE REPUBLICANS WERE WILLING TO SHUT DOWN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OVER PLANNED PARENTHOOD FUNDING
ABC News: House Republicans “Passed Two Bills Attacking Planned Parenthood” As Part Of A “Fight Over The Organization’s Funding That Could End In A Government Shutdown.” “House Republicans, as expected, passed two bills attacking Planned Parenthood today in an attempt by party leaders to placate conservatives angling for a fight over the organization’s funding that could end in a government shutdown. […]The first bill, from Rep. Diane Black, R-Tennessee, would freeze federal funding to Planned Parenthood for a year while Congress continues investigating the organization. It passed in a party line vote, with 241 yeas, 187 nays, and 1 present vote.” [ABC News, 9/18/15]
CNN: House Republicans Advanced Bills They Hoped Would Give Them “A Chance To Act On Their Opposition To Planned Parenthood Funding” Despite Having “No Plan To Avoid A Government Shutdown.” “Although House Republican leaders still have no plan to avoid a government shutdown, they moved forward Friday with a pair of votes on abortion-related legislation they hope give conservatives a chance to act on their opposition to Planned Parenthood.” [CNN, 9/18/15]
· Headline: “As Shutdown Looms, House Republicans Advance Abortion Bills” [CNN, 9/18/15]
· Headline: “House Votes To Defund Planned Parenthood As Shutdown Looms” [ABC News, 9/18/15]
MSNBC: House GOP Voted To Pass Government-Funding Bill That Defunded Planned Parenthood, “Setting The Stage For A Possible Government Shutdown.” “The Republican-controlled House of Representatives passed on Friday the Defund Planned Parenthood Act, 248-177. The bill strips the women’s health provider of its funding for contraception, pap smears, and testing for sexually-transmitted infections, unless it stops performing abortions. President Barack Obama has vowed to veto the bill, setting the stage for a possible government shutdown. Some congressional Republicans have vowed not to vote for any budget that includes funding for the organization.” [MSNBC, 9/18/15]
· Headline: “House Votes To Defund Planned Parenthood, Shutdown Looms” [MSNBC, 9/18/15]
Newsmax: “Congressional Republicans Are Vowing To Defund” Planned Parenthood “Even If It Forces A Government Shutdown.” “As controversy surrounding the undercover videos of Planned Parenthood continues to swirl, congressional Republicans are vowing to defund the group even if it forces a government shutdown, Politico reported.” [Newsmax, 7/30/15]
· Headline: CQ News: “No CR In Sight As House Republicans Debate Planned Parenthood.” [CQ News, 9/17/15]
Facing Government Shutdown, Heck Voted Five Times To Defund Planned Parenthood:
· USA Today: GOP Forced Several Votes On Bill To Cut Planned Parenthood Funding, Even Though The Fight “Has So Far Prevented Congress From Making Any Further Progress On Talks To Keep The Government Open.” “Republicans will force several votes on the House floor Friday to cut federal funding for Planned Parenthood and transfer that money to other women’s health services, but there does not appear to be any path to get the bills through the Senate. […]The House is voting Thursday and Friday on a bill offered by Reps. Dianne Black, R-Tenn., and Renee Ellmers, R-N.C., that would cut all federal funding to Planned Parenthood for a year and transfer the $235 million to community health centers and other qualified facilities. Republicans argue that these centers provide all the services Planned Parenthood provides — except for abortions. […] The Planned Parenthood fight has so far prevented Congress from making any further progress on talks to keep the government open.” [USA Today, 9/17/15]
o Heck Voted For A Bill That Barred Federal Funding For Planned Parenthood And Its Affiliates. In September 2015, Heck voted for: “Foxx, R-N.C., motion to order the previous question (thus ending debate and possibility of amendment) on the rule (H Res 421) that would provide for floor consideration of the bill (HR 3134) that would bar, for one year, federal funding for Planned Parenthood and its affiliates unless they certify that they will not perform abortions during that period, and the bill (HR 3504) that would require health care practitioners to give the same level of care to an infant born alive during a failed abortion as they would give to any other infant born at the same gestational age, and would set criminal fines and penalties for not doing so.” The motion was agreed to 243-183. [CQ, 9/17/15; H.Res.421, Vote 502, 9/17/15]
o Heck Voted For A Bill That Barred Federal Funding For Planned Parenthood And Its Affiliates. In September 2015, Heck voted for: “Adoption of the rule (H Res 421) that would provide for floor consideration of the bill (HR 3134) that would bar, for one year, federal funding for Planned Parenthood and its affiliates unless they certify that they will not perform abortions during that period, and the bill (HR 3504) that would require health care practitioners to give the same level of care to an infant born alive during a failed abortion as they would give to any other infant born at the same gestational age, and would set criminal fines and penalties for not doing so.” The rule was adopted 246-179. [CQ, 9/17/15; H.Res.421, Vote 503, 9/17/15]
· House Passed Bill That Would Strip Federal Funding From Planned Parenthood, But Republicans Still Threatened Government Shut Down. “The House passed two abortion-related bills Friday, including one that would strip federal health-care funding from Planned Parenthood for one year, but it remains unclear whether the votes would appease conservatives who have threatened a government shutdown over the organization. […] That’s why the move is unlikely to stave off growing fears of a government shutdown on Oct. 1. Since House conservatives know the bill to defund Planned Parenthood is unlikely to be enacted, they’re unlikely to back off their desire to attach it to a must-pass government spending measure to keep the government open. […] The other, the Defund Planned Parenthood Act, imposes a one-year moratorium on federal funding for the group, which Republicans say will allow for a thorough investigation of its practices. Any funding, supporters said, would be redirected to clinics that do not offer abortions.” [Washington Post, 9/18/15]
o September 2015: Heck Voted On A One-Year Ban Of Federal Funding For Planned Parenthood And Its Affiliates. In September 2015, Heck voted for: “Passage of the bill that would bar, for one year, federal funding for Planned Parenthood and its affiliates unless they certify that, during that period, they will not perform abortions or provide funds to other entities that perform abortions. The prohibition would apply to all federal funds, including Medicaid. The bill would provide exceptions for abortions provided in the case of rape, incest, or threat to the life of the mother. As amended, the bill would effectively redirect funds from Planned Parenthood to the community health center program; specifically, it would appropriate $235 million for community health centers, in addition to any other funds available to the program.” The bill passed by a 241-187 vote. [CQ, 9/18/15; H.R. 3134, Vote 505, 9/18/15]
· Reuters: House Voted To Defund Planned Parenthood “With The Goal Of Attaching It To A Stopgap Funding Bill To Keep Federal Agencies Operating In The Fiscal Year That Begins On Thursday.” “The U.S. House of Representatives, continuing its fight against women’s healthcare provider Planned Parenthood, on Wednesday voted to strip the organization of its funding. In a mostly partisan vote of 241-185, House Republicans passed the measure with the goal of attaching it to a stopgap funding bill to keep federal agencies operating in the fiscal year that begins on Thursday. But the Senate is not expected to approve the Planned Parenthood defunding, thus leaving the temporary government spending measure untouched as it moves through Congress.” [Reuters, 9/30/16]
o Heck Voted To Provide Floor Consideration Of A Bill That Was The Legislative Vehicle For A Stopgap CR That Would Insert Planned Parenthood Provision Into Bill Before It Was Sent To The President. In September 2015, Heck voted for: “Adoption of the rule (H Res 448) that would provide for floor consideration of the bill (HR 719) that would require the Transportation Security Administration to classify individuals as criminal investigators eligible for law enforcement benefits, is the legislative vehicle for a stopgap continuing resolution, and the concurrent resolution (H Con Res 79) that would require the House enrolling clerk to add language to the CR defunding Planned Parenthood before it is sent to the president.” The rule passed by a 239-187 vote. [CQ, 9/30/15; H.Res. 448, Vote 525, 9/30/15]
o Heck Voted For Adoption Of The Concurrent Resolution That Would Require The House Enrolling Clerk To Add Language To The CR Defunding Planned Parenthood Before It Was Sent To The President. In September 2015, Heck voted for: “Adoption of the concurrent resolution (H Con Res 79) that would require the House enrolling clerk to add language to the CR defunding Planned Parenthood before it is sent to the president.” The resolution was adopted by a 241-185 vote. [CQ, 9/30/15; H.Con.Res. 79, Vote 527, 9/30/15]
MS. DEITSCH: He wanted to make abortions illegal. Even in cases of rape. Or the health of the mother.
Of The Mother
Source: CQ, 7/31/12, H.R. 3803, Vote 539, 7/31/12
CQ, 8/11/12, H.R.3803, Introduced 1/23/12, Co-Sponsored, 4/17/12
HECK CO-SPONSORED & VOTED FOR BILL THAT WOULD BAN ABORTIONS AFTER 20 WEEKS IN D.C. THAT DID NOT HAVE EXCEPTIONS FOR RAPE OR THE HEALTH OF THE MOTHER
Heck Voted To Prohibit Abortions In D.C. After 20 Weeks Of Pregnancy, Except When Woman’s Life Was Endangered. In July 2012, Heck voted for a: “Franks, R-Ariz., motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill that would prohibit abortions in the District of Columbia after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except when the woman’s life is endangered. The bill would impose reporting requirements for any abortions performed prior to the 20-week threshold. Violators would be subject to fines or imprisonment, with a maximum two-year sentence. The measure would prohibit the prosecution of the woman obtaining the abortion.” The bill was rejected 220-154. [CQ, 7/31/12, H.R. 3803, Vote 539, 7/31/12]
· LVRJ’s Steve Sebelius: Heck Co-Sponsored And Voted For Bill That Outlawed All Abortions in Washington D.C. After 20 Weeks With “No Exception For The Health Of The Mother. In a column for the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Steve Sebelius wrote, “But back in 2012, Heck voted for another bill, one that didn’t contain those exceptions. […] At issue is HR 3803, the District of Columbia Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act. The bill — which failed to muster a two-thirds vote to overcome a procedural hurdle in July 2012 — would have outlawed all abortions in Washington, D.C., after 20 weeks, except those to save a pregnant woman’s life. There is no exception in the bill for rape or incest. And Heck not only voted for it (along with fellow Republican Rep. Mark Amodei), but was a co-sponsor.” [Las Vegas Review-Journal, Steve Sebelius, 8/28/13]
· D.C. 20 Week Abortion Ban “Included An Exception To Protect The Life Of The Mother But No Exceptions To Account For Fetal Abnormalities, The Health Of The Mother Or Cases Of Rape Or Incest.” “A bill that would ban abortions in the District of Columbia after 20 weeks of pregnancy failed to pass the House on Tuesday, but anti-abortion activists hailed the vote as a sign that their efforts ultimately would succeed. […] The vote in favor of the bill was 220-154, with 17 Democrats joining 203 Republicans to support it. But because it was considered under special rules requiring a two-thirds vote for passage, the bill won’t proceed to the Democratic-controlled Senate, where it was unlikely to come up for a vote. […] The bill included an exception to protect the life of the mother but no exceptions to account for fetal abnormalities, the health of the mother or cases of rape or incest.” [Associated Press, 7/31/12]
Heck Co-Sponsored District Of Columbia Pain-Capable Unborn Child Act. In April 2012, Heck co-sponsored, “A bill to amend Title 18, U.S. Code, to protect pain-capable unborn children in the District of Columbia, and for other purposes.” [CQ, 8/11/12, H.R.3803, Introduced 1/23/12, Co-Sponsored, 4/17/12]
· Huffington Post: Bill Did Not Have “Exceptions For Rape, Incest Or The Health Of The Mother. “Republicans in the House Judiciary Committee advanced a bill on Wednesday that bans abortions after 20 weeks of gestation in the District of Columbia without exceptions for rape, incest or health of the mother. Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), the sponsor of the bill, said the 20-week ban is based on medical evidence that fetuses can feel pain at that point. ‘This is a bill to protect children from being torturously dismembered while they are fully capable of feeling pain,’ he told his colleagues during a mark-up of the bill on Wednesday.” [Huffington Post, 7/18/12]
MS. DEITSCH: He’s even trying to pass a law turning doctors into criminals.
Source: CQ, 5/13/15, H.R. 36, Vote 223, 5/31/15
HECK VOTED FOR 20-WEEK ABORTION BAN THAT WOULD IMPOSE CRIMINAL PENALTIES ON DOCTORS WHO PERFORMED ABORTIONS
Heck Voted For Bill To Prohibit Abortions After 20 Weeks With Exceptions That Included Criminal Penalties For Doctors Who Violate It. In May 2015, Heck voted for: “Passage of the bill that would prohibit abortions in cases where the probable age of the fetus is 20 weeks or later and would impose criminal penalties on doctors who violate the ban. It would provide exceptions for cases in which the woman’s life is in danger as well as for pregnancies that are a result of rape if, as amended, for pregnancies that are a result of rape against an adult woman, the woman received counseling or medical treatment for the rape at least 48 hours prior to the abortion. An exception would be provided for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest against a minor if the rape or incest had been previously reported to law enforcement or another government agency authorized to act on reports of child abuse. As amended, the bill would require a second doctor trained in neonatal resuscitation to be present for abortions where the fetus has the ‘potential’ to survive outside the womb, and, if the fetus is born alive, the bill would require that the infant be provided medical care and immediately be transported and admitted to a hospital. As amended, women wishing to have abortions under the bill’s exceptions would need to sign (along with the doctor and a witness) an informed consent authorization form detailing the age of the fetus and stating that, if born alive, would be given medical assistance and transported to a hospital.” The bill passed by a vote of 242-184. [CQ, 5/13/15; H.R. 36, Vote 223, 5/13/15]
· Associated Press: Bill Would Mean Doctors “Who Violate The Law Could Be Subject To Fines And Up To Five Years In Prison.” “As with the original bill, the measure’s other exemptions to the late-term abortion ban include mothers whose lives are in danger and minors who are incest victims and report the assault to law enforcement authorities or agencies that respond to cases of child abuse. Doctors — but not mothers — who violate the law could be subject to fines and up to five years in prison.” [Associated Press, 5/11/15]
MS. DEITSCH: Congressman Heck is just another Washington politician who’s wrong for Nevada women.
MS. DEITSCH: DSCC is responsible for the content of this advertising.
GFX: PAID FOR BY DSCC, WWW.DSCC.ORG, AND NOT AUTHORIZED BY ANY CANDIDATE OR CANDIDATE’S COMMITTEE. DSCC IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF THIS ADVERTISING.
DSCC FRIDAY TAKEAWAYS – DSCC LAUNCHES DIGITAL AD ON RISING GAS PRICES – GOP SABOTAGE SPIKES HEALTH CARE PREMIUMS –...
12 hrs Ago
Thanks to the GOP’s ongoing #Obamacare sabotage, premiums are expected to rise an average 15% next year. Call. Them…...
3 hrs ago on Twitter